Monday, June 21, 2010

Tour de Suisse 2010

(click on image to enlarge)

The Tour de Suisse, one of the top multi-day road cycling tours in the world drawing top cyclists from around the world, ended yesterday with the final stage in the nearby town of Liestal.  The stage was an individual time trial looping through the hills behind Kilchzimmer (a few minutes from home) so I couldn't pass up seeing it.  The day was overcast with a slight drizzle.  I stood at the inside tight corner at the bottom of a descent for part of the race which allowed me to use a wide angle lens and get up close while the riders leaned toward me into the corner – I did wear bright yellow so they'd see me.  I had a split second for a photo with riders flying by within inches of my lens.  That's my excuse for cutting Lance Armstrong's head off (bottom right)! The right center photo is of Levi Leipheimer(?), a familiar name to those who followed road cycling over the years.  

The final standings of the tour were close with Fränk Schleck (top left photo) beating out Lance Armstrong by 12 sec.  You may remember watching the "Schleck brothers" surprise everyone in last year's Tour de France.

This made for an enjoyable afternoon despite the weather.

[all photos by Tim Shirey®]

No comments: